Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Poem #8 (why? because I feel like it!)

The way things are
"The way things are will stay" said the holy man.
He wore a dishcloth and a soiled pair of boxers,
but this did not make him no less holy.

"Change will come to those who wait" he prophesied.
We all walked past him and avoided eye contact,
we veered where we walked to dodge the old man.

"When we are happy we get what we want" he continued.
It amused me that even though no one listened,
he still babbled his words and believes them himself.

"For how can we love someone else," he paused.
He saw me gazing at him from across the walkway,
I pretended to not realise and eat my sandwich.

"that is when we will find our other half." he finished.
He smiled as if his chores were done for the day,
packing up his chair and sheet he walked away.

"But how long must we wait" I called to him.
He just averted his gaze and continued on,
veering his path so it didn't cross mine.

"How long must I, we, wait?" I asked the next day.
His stare sat on me for a short while,
he smiled because he finally had a follower.

"It is as long as it takes for you to be happy with yourself." he replied.
I don't understand what he meant,
was he being cryptic on purpose.

"How will I know that I'm happy?" I retorted.
His smile wiped from his face,
as if I had sinned the greatest sin alive.

"If you don't know what happiness is," he quietly whispered.
He stood up and he was not much shorter than I was,
his hand placed itself on my shoulder.

"...then you will be euphoric when you find it." he chortled.
I still question the meaning of happiness,
and still wonder why I had not found it.

No comments:

Post a Comment