Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Phantom, almost the new black.

Last night I got to see Phantom of the Opera - finally. After six years of wanting to and not being able to afford it when I have been in Melbourne - so glad I could finally see it in Perth.

It was really good - the sets, acting, music, voices, ambiance was all brilliant. I miss being in theaters all the time, the one thing I planned on doing this year was to see more shows - and I'm actually doing it. Feels good. Next ones on my list are Les Misérables, Little Shop of Horrors (yay Bri and Emmet) and also want to see many more Perth productions- including a few WAAPA ones.

As for Phantom - I loved it intensely, every theater aspect was well accomplished and tied in together. The only thing that would make it better was if it was a smaller audience leading to a more heart thumping vibe. I mentioned to my sister that the chandelier went slower than I thought. She said in the production she saw it went really really fast. Haha - wonder if its a difference in perspectives or if they were actually different. The bit that made me wheel back the most is when they reveal parts of the stage that you wern't expecting.

It is a close runner up to Wicked and Priscilla - but that won't suprise those of you who know me. I guess its all about what you like and what you don't in the end. I was more enthralled by everything in Priscilla and Wicked than Phantom. And many of you will also go "For fuck sake" because I mentioned Wicked again - its the best thing I have ever seen so of course I'm going to compare everything to it. Once you see it you will understand why I love it so much - you might not like it to the extent that I do but you will see what captivated me soo much in it.

xx Action Wolfe
p.s. Certainty, People Like Certainty

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE love LOVE Phantom. I've seen it several times on Broadway and it's always better and better than the last time. :)

    ReplyDelete